Friday, February 27, 2009

1. Film-Guess Who
2-23-09, 3ish, ch. 36 (I think)
Dinner scene
Racial jokes were made/racial stereotyping

2. Personal Convo with Charlie, boyfriend
2-22-09, 1:30
In the car on the way home from New Orleans
conversation about relationships in college and in general
gender stereotyping

3. Personal convo with my mom
2-27-09; 430 pm
on the phone
conversation about mamograms
gender stereotyping

4. personal convo with my dad
2.25-09 230pm
on the phone (he lives in CO)
conversation about real world jobs
gender/racial stereotyping

5. Film-He's Just Not that Into You
2-24-09 750pm
Hollywood Theaters in Norman
The whole movie was gender stereotyping

6. Music Video- Last Name by Carrie Underwood
2-26-09 430pm
YouTube
gender stereotyping through the whole song...

7. TV show- Saved by the Bell
2-21-09 545 pm
Theta House
The episode where they have an obstacle course race
gender stereotyping

8. Film- Slumdog Millionaire
2-24-09 730pm
Friend's house (she had connections to getting the movie really early)
The whole movie is racial stereotyping because they don't think he's smart enough because of where he grew up.

9. Ad in a magazine- People
2-27-09 1 pm
Ad for match.com with a woman on the whole page
gender stereotyping

10. tv show- The Bachelor
2-23-09 7pm
the "women tell all" episode
gender stereotyping


I was and was not somewhat surprised by all of the racial and gender stereotyping that goes on in the media today. We are all constantly bombarded by so much clutter each day that it is as if we have all almost become somewhat immune to it, sadly enough. We all experience stereotyping so much that we feel like it is supposed to be that way and maybe we don't know any better? I wish it were different but it just seems to be the world we live in today.

When I personally experience gender stereotyping i get extremely defensive and mad. I am very opnionated and that is one area that I am definitely not ashamed to state my opinions and feelings about. I think that gender stereotyping is wrong and should not be taken by anyone. I am so tired of hearing that I can or cannot do this or that because I am a female. So many women in this world have made history becuase of their actions. They have left footprints in our world history books becuase of the accomplishments they did. So saying that women can and can't do certain things is bogus. I think and encourage all women to do whatever their heart desires. People think it's "weird' for a girl to be a brain surgeon or for a girl to be a pilot of a commercial airline. Well why? Why is it weird for a female to accomplish her dreams? Why is it weird for her to have gone through so much school and hard times to do what she wants to do? I think it is amazing to see women succeed in what is called a "mans field." And I think it is wonderful when women want to have a job even when they have children. That they do not have to be the stereotypical house wife.

I definitley see the continuous images and how the do and do not affect people. I think that we are all affected by it in some shape or anything but we often times do not realize it. I think that we are so use to it that we just take it. Which is sad. For instance, my mom works in an office with all men and she is often times mistaken as the "secretary" simply because she is a female. When in all reality she is one of the top employees in the company! Now go figure. If a man were to be called the secretary because he was in an office building full of women all hell would break loose. I also like the example of girls are supposed to have the Paris Hilton "purse dog" amd that guys are supposed to have golden retreivers and labs, the more manly dogs. Well, my dad who lives in Colorado was planning on getting a golden retriever to go hiking with him and because he has always loved goldens. Well when I got my yorkie poo puppy he fell in LOVE with her. He made fun of me in the beginning for having a dog that ended in "poo" but little did he know he was about to own one as well! After falling in love with my dog, plans for the golden retriever went out the window. The next thing I know he is checking the paper daily for yorkie poos in colorado. He now owns one and it is like his third child, ha. I hear stories about the dog over the phone. He also now takes the dog hiking with him. So I think that gender stereotyping also definitely goes both ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zok3tTtqkoI

http://www.weddingflix.com/photos/uncategorized/guess_who_1.jpg

3 comments:

  1. It does go both ways, glad you noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your ability to notice that there are two sides to gender stereotypes. Men, even though they have many more opportunities -whether they know it or not - can be just more apt to choose to do things in a more feminine way. Sure sometimes men can be criticized by other men for their actions but I'm fairly sure the men that are receiving the criticism don't stress too much. My boyfriend is one of the most "macho" man you may or may not ever come in contact with but he is also has many "feminist-like" qualities like style, fashion, sensitivity, and he even terms some things he sees as "cute." As an extra example, he even wears some women's high fashion sunglasses because, hell the look good on him! Haha

    I also agree that because we are women we should not be told what we can and cannot do or accept a lower pay for the same job that a man would be paid more for doing. Equal rights for everyone is a very important issue that is being fought for more and more now in today's society and especially in our generation. Although, I do believe that there are some things that I am more comfortable with when a male figure is in charge verses a female (but that could also be just because of my history) and I know that not everyone thinks the same.

    So in a nutshell - you're right on with your ideas of equality for both genders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you brought up the fact that women are so often considered to be working in a man's field. It is very common for women pilots and surgeons to be "succeeding in a man’s line of work." That goes both ways, very often a man that is succeeding as a nurse or in my case in the public relations field is viewed as being homosexual when in fact male nurses probably just didn't want to go through med school and I personally wasn't cutting it in the business college.

    I also thought it was funny how you brought up the fact that your Dad made fun of your yorkie poo. My sisters both have yorkies and my Dad hated buying them because he said they're a waste of a dog. He had no trouble buying me my lab but now that they've all been around for a while he definitely favors the yorkies. But on the other hand I guess I build on that particular stereotype since my sisters are the ones with the "purse" dogs and I have a "mans" dog.

    I also agree that there are so many gender stereotypes that we have become immune to them! I also think women are often told they can't which in my opinion is ridiculous. Most of the girls I hang out with are on the fast track to being a successful doctor or are doing much better than me while getting their public relations. I think that you can do anything you want if you are willing to put in the effort.

    ReplyDelete