Friday, February 13, 2009

Tim Wise Blog assignment

After viewing this video, I was a bit confused as to what he was talking about with "privilege." I guess he was trying to say that some African Americans feel underprivileged compared to whites. I like the part where he talked about typing in your computer "over privileged" and that a red line would go under it. However, when I think of privilege, I think everyone in the United States is privileged. We all live in an amazing country and are free people, and that in itself is something to be proud of and consider a HUGE privilege. I think people look waaaay too into "privilege" and take it to the nitty gritty. There is always going to be someone richer than you or prettier than you, but there is also always someone who is less fortunate than you and I don't think that people realize that enough.

When talking about how the media portrays privilege I think that they definitely show it in different aspects. For instance, they might show someone winning a huge award, and someone watching it might feel that they aren't privileged enough to win something like that. The news also might show people in poverty who's home was burnt by a fire, and this might make people feel like they are more privileged than them. It all depends on how you view yourself and others around you.

Privileges
1. My friend made a better grade on me than a test which can make me feel underprivileged.
2. I see people with nicer cars than mine which can make me feel under privileged.
3. I have 2 wonderful jobs that make me feel privileged.
4. My neighborhood was badly hit by the tornadoes but my house was luckily spared which made me feel very privileged.
5. I am getting to go to Mardi Gras next weekend and I feel very privileged to have that opportunity.
6. I am a student at the University of Oklahoma which makes me feel privileged since some people don't have the opportunity to go to school
7. I am blessed with an amazing family which makes me feel privileged.
8. I also have a wonderful group of friends which makes me feel privileged.

As for the one drop rule, I do think that society still believes in it. I think that people who have a white mom and an African American dad, that they maybe don't know exactly where they fit in.

In regards to the responsibility of knowledge idea, I think that it depends on the knowledge and your beliefs. I think that that is a very broad aspect saying when you find something out you need to change your behavior. Well a lot of people have beliefs and morals that they might not want to change, just because something was found out. But if it is something worth changing your behavior then by all means I definitely think you should. I think everyone should always try to look at both sides of everything.



4 comments:

  1. I do understand how Tim Wise can be offensive but I think the reason it may seen offensive is not due to the material.

    First, (not having anything to do with the material) the way he presents the information is very to the point. There is no beating around the bush with Wise. This I believe could be construed as offensive because the midwestern section of the U.S. does not operate in this manner; it suits the northeast much better.

    Second, when he spoke about privilege he was referring to racial privilege (meaning there is a racial majority that oppresses racial minorities whether consciously or unconsciously) and not necessarily economic privilege (which in this country is capitalism) or perceived personal privilege (which is just comparison and not oppression). This can seem offensive to a white audience because many people I believe are either not familiar with this issue or choose not to acknowledge it (as a white female also, I understand this can be a hot topic for whites but it must be addressed). I also believe that Wise was speaking a truth about the Black community feeling this way because he has spoken to people across the nation about the issue and he is expressing their view, not his own. He is merely the spokesperson for an issue that would not have the same effect if a black person spoke about privilege (because it would be perceived as complaining instead of the social injustice it is).

    Third, because he was referring to racial privilege and not perceived privileges, the idea of privilege must be scrutinized and presented in a way that makes people (first of all) aware of the issue and (second of all) passionate enough to make changes (whether that be personal or social changes). When a society is made knowledgeable of a social injustice (such as privilege), they are then responsible for doing what they can to correct it or at the very least, not perpetuate it. Because social change does not happen overnight, if our generation can at least take baby steps toward eliminating privilege, maybe our children's generation can take the final steps toward equality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I really like your thoughts on privilege. I do believe people look at what they do not have instead of looking at the positives. So many privileges are over looked in our world today because people won't stop complaining about what they don't have. They are so focused on the negatives, they totally miss out on the many positives we are blessed with. I also like your open-minded view of accepting new knowledge. I wish everyone in the world today could be as accepting and change their behavior that easily. However, there are so many people out there that are stuck in their ways and are not open to change. I hope this class will educate us on how to help others be more accepting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!, Stepping out of that box....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your thoughts on privilege! I also thought it was very realistic when Tim Wise was talking about under-privileged not being in spell check or in the dictionary. It's true what he says, people are in denial about it but I also agree with you about the fact that people are not focusing on the positives and that no one is equal and no matter what people will always feel under privileged when they compare themselves to someone wealthier, more "successful", prettier, etc. As the saying goes, "you want what you dont have," and I wish people could just accept the miracle that we all have, which is life and stop complaining and focusing on the greener grass on the other side. The world would be a much happier place.

    ReplyDelete